September 1, 2010

i'm like a damn phantom!

It has begun. The time every kid dreads, the time every parent cannot wait for, the time hundreds of movies and books have been written about. School time. Awful time. Death time. Whatever you want to call it. And with the successful completion of seven days of classes, my lovely sleep schedule has adjusted. Fall asleep around 5:00 AM, wake up around 9:30 AM, claw my eyes out, rinse and repeat. So for me it's back to the sadcafe.

To commemorate my first night of staying awake past three in the morning, I thought I'd resume my little blog here since I took an obvious break for the summer. Here I am world, writing from my bed. Of course from my bed. If there is one thing every single individual I have ever met  can tell you, it's I have a deep love for my bed, or any bed I can get my hands on for that matter. Friends' beds, siblings' beds, no bed is safe from my grasp. I'm a little bed fiend, a connoisseur of beds, if you will. I can't get enough of them. And as for my own bed, between the blankets and the pillows and the assortment of stuffed animals I should have thrown out years ago, my bed is my sanctuary. What more can I say? Well let's set aside my silly bed tangent and return to the pressing matter at hand. So I'm here in bedland, clicking away while my roommate slumbers peacefully by the other side of the window. I hear the occasionally sleep babble from her but mostly it's just the crickets hum tonight.

Oh Casey. You are a loon. But you're my roommate which makes you my loon roommate. Which is great. She's so endearing, buying me cute Ed Hardy lighters that change colors, making delicious guacamole from scratch, going on wild adventures through Walmart, comparing absurd boy anecdotes while sipping wine on the balcony. She makes this apartment feel comfortable.

As fantastic and lovely as Casey is, I am mad jealous of her sleeping habits. I feel like I should be able to absorb them just by living in the same room as her. How does she do it? Night after night, I see her out of the corner of my eye, dead to the world as I lay here for hours trying to figure out how to do it. I want to violently shake her awake and scream into her ear, how is it possible to fall asleep only moments after you touch your head to the pillow?! You are truly gifted.

Well I can honestly say Casey is one of the most adorable people I know. She just woke up, hopefully I'm not to blame, and asked in a her little sleepy voice if I've slept at all tonight. I inform her politely, no of course not you dingdong! She makes a little sleep sound and calls me magically, I say no, just exhausted and insane. She goes on to tell me that she just had a dream and I was in it. For her sake, I hope I was more interesting and normal in her unconscious for the past three hours than I have been in reality. And THEN, if she couldn't be any sweeter, she asks me if I ever have a seizure again if she should call an ambulance or just go with it. Aw.. (tear) that is so thoughtful. I can't say I am anywhere near as nice or inquisitive or friendly when I first come back from sleep city. No, not by a long shot.

The time is now 5:04. The sun is creeping back up over the trees, the newspapers are being delivered, and I am calling it a night. Day eight of classes has already begun and lets be honest, I can't run on three hours of sleep like I could last year when I was a young whippersnapper. I'm getting too old for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment